Sunday, January 10, 2010







(I assure you this is a lot better than the picture gives credit for. I'm not a photographer, remember?)

I found this recipe from Betty Crocker. Stop with your preconceived notions, it's amazing, and easy, and amazing.

This is what you'll need to make it...


8
chicken drumsticks or thighs (1 1/4 lb), skin removed
1
package (6 oz) original-flavor long-grain and wild rice mix
2
cups 1 1/2-inch cubes peeled butternut squash
1
medium zucchini, cut lengthwise in half, then cut crosswise into 3/4-inch slices
1
medium red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces (1 cup)
2
cups water
1/2
cup garlic-and-herb spreadable cheese




So, here are my veggies... 


(I used precut butternut squash because it's SO much easier)



(And I used extra zucchini, both a yellow and green because I looooove them!)


After turning your oven on to 425, brown your chicken in a skillet:



And while my chicken was browning on medium to high heat, I mixed my rice mix, and veggies all together in a 13x9 baking pan.


When your chicken is done, remove it from pan, I put mine in just a bowl and then add the 2 cups water to the pan. Once it's boiling pour it over your veggies and rice mix and stir together. Then stir in your cheese...

Mmmmm. 

This is what I used because I'm cheap and didn't want to pay the $6 for Boursin...

However, I think it'd be worth paying the extra $2. This tasted just fine, I promise, but if you use this, use more than 1/2 cup otherwise it's not a strong enough flavor. I like strong flavors. 

So, we've mixed in a our cheese and water and now I put my chicken on top



And then covered it up and put it in the oven







And then you just bake it for about 45 minutes. You want all the liquid to be absorbed and the chicken to  run clear. 

When I pulled mine out of the oven, the liquid was still there, but as soon as I stirred it altogether, the rice absorbed it and mixed with the cheese, it comes out like a lovely easy risotto! 

Enjoy it.. it's really really good!

No comments: