Wednesday, January 20, 2010

This is perhaps the best cake I've ever made. And I like to make a lot of cakes.

Actually, it's not perhaps, I'm pretty sure it is.



Just look at how good it looks. It's a Tres Leches cake, which is a Spanish dessert. You can read about it here if you really want to. But, it's basically just a cake soaked in three different milks. Specifically for this cake I used, coconut milk (not cream), whipping cream and sweetened condensed milk. It came out amazing.

Preheat your oven.

(If your not using a dark pan, set your oven at 350)

Start with a box of white cake mix (any brand, it doesn't matter), 2 tablespoons oil, 1 1/4 c. water, 3 eggs and 2 bananas mashed up. Make sure you mash them up. I didn't mash mine up before putting it in the mix, but I wish I had.

(Sorry, forgot the flash in more than a few pictures!)


Grease the bottom of you pan, pour in your mix and bake for about 35 minutes or until done.



Then is has to cool for an hour. So while it cools, I toasted coconut.




I love toasted coconut. I had a cup of vanilla ice cream with toasted coconut on top with hot fudge this morning. For breakfast. But it's just so good, I couldn't resist. But, back to the cake.

Mix together a can of sweetened condensed milk (14 oz), 1/2 c. coconut MILK, and 1/2 c. whipping cream in a bowl and then once your cake COMPLETELY cools, poke holes with a fork ALL over it, and pour the milk mixture on top.



Then put it in the fridge overnight.



As you can see, I still had a lot of liquid left in the morning. I poured this into a cup and poured it back over the cake in the middle and let it sit for another hour to absorb. 

Once it's absorbed, frost it!



I just used a container of white frosting.

Then I used my toasted coconut.




And wow. It is amazing! Enjoy!

No comments: