Tuesday, November 30, 2010

I'm allergic to winter.

I hate winter- I'm allergic to it. Quite literally.

As soon as the warmth of the summer begins to fade and the chilliness of fall starts to set in, my allergies and asthma flare right up. They don't come on slow and perpetually get worse as the temperature drops, they start off like a freight train and stay at full force until the snow finally melts and the temperatures once again start to rise.

It's like I said, I'm allergic to winter.

Allergies themselves wouldn't be so bad if you took away the asthma. That would only leave me with having to take Zyrtec and Flonase once a day. I could handle that. But then you add on the asthma and Advair twice a day and my inhaler when needed and I instantly feel like a medicine cabinet- like I'm taking 80 pills a day just to breathe. Nevermind if I wake up with a headache, then add a couple Tylenol to the picture.. and well, you get my point.

It wasn't always this way though. I grew up in So. Cali where it's always summer and in the 16 years that I lived there, I never once had a problem. Which only strengthens my argument that I'm quite literally allergic to winter. Although, I'm pretty sure that growing up there is what contributed rather directly to my asthma. It wasn't until I moved to New Hampshire and experienced my first couple winters that my allergies started rearing their ugly head. And it was only a few years after that that my asthma decided to pop up and say hello. And it seems like now every winter they get a little worse than the winter before.

Lucky me.

And let's not even start talking about when I get a cold, which is basically the entire winter with a week or two break in between.

I've often looked for natural remedies to help ease the burden, but outside of moving to a warmer climate, I've yet to find something I can really stand behind and say, Hey! This works! .. I'm totally open to suggestions though.

I have a post coming up on Tumeric which is suppose to be a pretty big deal, however, I've found it's only useful as a spice and on my face. I read a lot about how you can use it in milk and it helps clear up inflammation all over the body, unfortunately though, it tastes pretty foul so that did not happen. Now I'm trying out Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) currently and we will see how that goes. I don't really have high hopes on it, but I'll have a post on that as soon as I come to a conclusion.

No comments: