Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Key Lime Pie!

This is definitely not a lime pie. This a super tart, super delicious Key Lime Pie (KLP). The difference is in the use of key limes.. or in this case, the use of key lime juice versus just lime juice. Key limes are a breed of limes all their own. The most obviously difference is their size, key limes are about half the size of your regular limes and their juice is far more acidic making it far more sour. Which in turn makes it the perfect lime for pie!

This was the first time I've attempted such a feat.. why I didn't do it earlier, I have no idea because it's super simple. I guess I just always thought that making KLP would be much too much work. But, lime is definitely one of my favorite flavors and I couldn't put it off any longer!

The Players:
You're going to need 1/2 cup of KL juice (you can use regular lime juice if you want.. but then you're just making a Lime Pie). You need 14 oz. can of sweetened condensed milk, the zest of 1 lime and the yolk from 4 eggs. 

First, set your over to 350 and let it warm up. Here's where you want to make your pie crust unless you're like me, then take the plastic covering off your store bought pie crust!

 This was by far the hardest part of the whole thing- de-whiting the eggs. This was the first time I've ever  had to separate the two- I've avoided a lot of recipes for just this reason, but I finally gave in. After cracking the egg, gently separate the two halves of the shells and let the whites drip out into a separate bowl then I put what was left onto a slotted spoon so the white could finish dripping off and then I plopped the yolk into the bowl. It does literally plop.  I've also found this to be flexible as well because I've seen some recipes that call for 3 yolks and some for 4.. so use what you've got!

 Then add your can of sweetened condensed milk to your yolks.


 Wisk together.
 Add your half cup of lime juice.

 Now you need the need the zest from one lime. I personally don't own a zester. It's the one kitchen tool my grandmother didn't leave me- which is amazing, because that woman had everything for the kitchen that they made- except a zester.

But don't let that deter you. I used my cheese grater, which has a tiny grater side that worked perfectly.

The only difference is that the pieces come out a little longer. No biggie!

 Mix all together in a bowl. I'm kind of fond now of the longer peels.. they add color.. dimension. They let you know that it is really a lime pie.

 Pour your mixture into your pie crust. But, hopefully, unlike me, you buy the correct size- a 9inch. I just grabbed one- the wrong one, but even that small set back didn't get to me. It still came out great! Even better if you love pie crust.

Now, put your pie in the oven for 15-17 minutes.

It come out like this. Then let it cool completely on a rack and then stick it in the fridge for about an hour and enjoy!

It's really frickin' amazingly good! 

No comments: