Sunday, December 12, 2010

Poppy Chow

So I got this recipe from TPW Tasty Kitchen website. I have to be honest and say that I definitely wasn't a fan of the original "Puppy Chow" that this is based on, but when made with popcorn, it sounded absolutely amazing, and it really, really, really didn't disappoint. I mean really. This is a crowd pleaser for sure. I'll post a link to the original recipe at the end.

So, let's start with the players.


9 cups air popped popcorn, 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, 1/2 cup peanut butter, 1/4 cup butter (1/2 stick), a teaspoon vanilla, 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar

Now, let me stop for a minute and share a couple things. First, because the recipe called for air popped popcorn and I don't have a pop corn maker, I tried making it on the stove, in a pan, and it was an ultra fail. That's why you won't find a picture of the popcorn popping, because while it did pop, it took forever and burned. So, instead, I raided our pantry and found the microwave kind that was like 94% fat free or something, and used that. And it came out amazing, so please don't hesitate about using that. I will every time from now on. I'm still going to work on making popcorn on the stove, just so I can say I can do it, but you can totally use microwave popcorn instead. I suggest using the flavorless kind though because when it gets coated, it has a ton of flavor and you don't want to interfere with that. 

And secondly, use a good chocolate, please. It doesn't have to be the best chocolate, just a fairly good brand you can find in the grocery. I used Ghirdelli. 

Alright, let's continue. 


Put in your 1 cup chocolate chips


Now 1/2 cup peanut butter


And your half stick of butter, which comes out roughly to 1/4 cup.

Put these all in the microwave until they're melted and mix them up. 

I forgot to take a picture of this, sorry. 


And pour it all over your popcorn in a BIG bowl. You need a BIG bowl. 

Mix it up until it's as well coated as you can get it. 

Then add your powdered sugar. 

I forgot that picture too, don't hate me. 


And mix it up till it's all coated. 


Your BIG bowl should be a little messy, which is why you need a BIG bowl. 


Now put it on a cookie sheet in an even layer to let the chocolate set. I suggest using a really BIG spoon for this, preferably with holes so you don't end up with a cookie sheet covered in powdered sugar as well. But if you do, you do, no biggie!



And while it's setting, try not to eat all of it. It'll be really hard though so it's okay if you do. I think our batch here is almost half gone.. oops! I plan on making it again for an upcoming holiday party though. I don't think it will last too long there either! Trust me when I say it is amazing. It is. 

Oh, and here's the link I told you about. Poppy Chow

No comments: