Friday, December 10, 2010

Target Fail

There once was a time in my life where I spent countless dollars at Target. I was there all the time. I just loved it. Whenever I was bored, I would go to Target. If I needed a new shirt for Friday night, I went to Target. Whenever I had a day off, I went to Target. It was, in retrospect, a little ridiculous. 

But, in my defense, they have everything- like Wal-Mart only without all the weird Wal-Mart people. It wasn't until I moved out almost 2 years ago that I was finally able to stop the addiction, and that was only because all my money went to rent. But, after living that life for almost a year before having to move home again, I can say that I'm definitely cured. 

I still wander into Target every now and then, but it seems like more and more often I leave empty handed and I'm sure that will be more of the norm after my most recent experience. My issue with Target isn't the associates- at all. Well, except that one of my ex-boyfriend's works at my local one and that's always kind of awkward, but otherwise, the people there are great and friendly. My issue has to do with Target and their policies in general. 

A while ago I bought the Target brand make-up remover. Normally I use baby oil, but because it's so think and, well, oily, I was hoping to try something else. So I decided I would try their oil free waterproof eye make up remover. 


Let me tell you though, it's not good. At all. Don't waste your 5 bucks. It takes like 5 cotton balls and even though it's not oily, it still feels greasy. Anyway, about a week after I bought it I went back and wanted to return it. I had only used it once, so it was still a full bottle (versus using it for a week leaving a couple drops in it and then trying to return it). But, I was denied. In a nice way- the associate wasn't rude about it at all. It's just their policy- which is what I have a problem with. 

What I don't understand is why doesn't Target stand behind their brand? How does that instill confidence in their customers to try their brand items? I can tell you right now that the times I buy Target brand items in the future will be far and few in between and will then only be items I've already tried. I know I can't be the only one who feels this way either. Every other store is so quick to take back anything that you think Target would get the idea and jump on. I can tell you now though that this has really discouraged me from shopping there, which kind of stinks because I liked Target, even if they were more expensive. 

However, when you look at the competition, Wal-Mart takes back anything you're dissatisfied with and so doesn't Rite-Aid. I'm pretty sure that going forward I will be going there instead for my make-up needs. I just have a really hard time liking stores that don't stand behind their products, especially their own brand products. It makes me feel as though I'm not valued as a customer and either is the money I worked hard to earn and want to spend their. 

No comments: